I love tomato season. There are so many ways to enjoy tomatoes …. popping them in your mouth while picking little sun golds or cherry tomatoes in the garden; raw with a little salt, grilled for salsa, purred with garlic and basil for pizza, or cooked for hours to make a rich pasta sauce.
But one of the purest ways is on a good ol’ fashioned BLT sandwich.
There are many fun spins on BLTs, but the classic truly deserves a place in the Sandwich Hall of Fame.
- We use our homemade no-knead bread baker to make a fresh loaf of sourdough every week. But any good, sturdy, toasted bread will do.
- A little mayo, with crushed pepper.
- Layer on bacon (we cook ours in our Small Flameware Skillet, but the microwave Clay Bacon Cooker also works wonders).
- Slice up tomatoes, we prefer beefsteak or heirloom for BLTs, but you can also make an easy tomato jam with cherry or sun gold tomatoes and spread that on (roast in the oven with a little olive oil and garlic until blistered, about 20 minutes on 450, and then smash together).
- Wash and pat dry crispy lettuce.
- Assemble and Voilà!
Want to go crazy? Try some different versions:
- BBLT: Burrata, Bacon, Lettuce, & Tomato
- BLAT: Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, & Tomato
- BELT: Bacon, Fried Egg, Lettuce, & Tomato
- BKT: Bacon, Kale, & Tomato
- BLAP: Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Peanut Butter (I made this one up, but you get the picture … you can try any combo that sounds good to you)