We take our commitment to the environment very seriously at the Clay Coyote, and we’re always looking for ways to improve and be more environmentally thoughtful.
When you order from us we use environmentally friendly packing materials whenever possible. For example, 95% of our peanuts are biodegradable, decompose in water leaving no toxic waste, and are FDA compliant. We specifically purchase them for that reason. The other 5% are reused from other shipments we receive, our own version of recycling through multi-use.
We’ve tried a paper cushion, to replace peanuts, but we found that the paper cushion offers less shock absorption and significantly more breakage, resulting in a greater carbon footprint – remaking, repackaging, and redelivering. For example, the year before switching to the biodegradable peanuts, we had 35 UPS claims for broken products, the next year we had 1.
And, all of the paper used in our packing is recycled from our local newspaper company.
Finally, over the last several years we have doubled down on our commitment to the environment and instituted many new green initiatives at our small company.
- We reduced our energy usage by 94% shifting from halogen to LED lighting.
- We also began using load management with our local power company so that we’re not using electricity in high-volume times.
We take our responsibility to protect the environment very seriously and we’ll be sure to update you when we make changes to strengthen that commitment. Make sure to keep an eye on our blog here and follow us on Instagram here to stay up to date!
I hope that you’ll consider supporting our small business in the future.