You will need:
• Fresh asparagus, steamed until tender but still semi-crisp enough to hold shape (about 3 minutes steamed, depending on size).
• Prosciutto, ham, roast beef, chicken, turkey or other deli meat, shaved paper thin.
• Herbed cream cheese or neufchatel cheese. You can mix up your own or buy it pre-made.
1. Cut a rectangle of paper-thin prosciutto or other deli meat about 3 inches by 2 inches. The measurement will change depending on the size/thickness of the asparagus, but it doesn’t have to be exact.
2. Dab a bit of the herbed cream cheese on each of the upper left and right corners of the prosciutto or deli meat rectangle to serve as glue.
3. Fold down each upper left and right corner about two-thirds of the way, using the cream cheese as glue. Flip the meat over horizontally, so the folded corners are now face-down.
4. Place about one-half teaspoon of herbed cream cheese in the upper center of the meat. Dab a small amount of cream cheese on each of the lower corners of the meat as glue.
5. Place the head of the asparagus spear in the center of the meat on top of the herbed cream cheese.
6. Fold the left side of the meat to the right, wrapping it around the asparagus stalk.
7. Wrap the right side of the meat to the left, pressing against and around the asparagus stalk. Adjust the asparagus head up or down to make it visually appealing. You can further embellish them by adding thin slivers of carrots, Cheddar cheese, red bell peppers, olives, chives, or whatever suits your fancy.