We are very environmentally thoughtful at the Clay Coyote and we’re always looking for ways to improve.
When you order from us we try to use environmentally friendly packing materials. For example, 95% of our peanuts are biodegradable, decompose in water leaving no toxic waste and FDA compliant. We specifically purchase them for that reason. The other 5% are reused from other shipments we receive, our own version of recycling through multi-use.
We’ve tried a paper cushion, to replace peanuts, but we found that the paper cushion offers less shock absorption and significantly more breakage, resulting in more carbon footprint – remaking, repackaging, and redelivering. For example, the year before switching to the biodegradable peanuts, we had 35 UPS claims, last year we had 1.
And, all of the paper used in our packing is recycled from our local newspaper company.
Lastly, over the last four years we have instituted many new green initiatives at our small company.
- We reduced our energy usage by 94% shifting from halogen to LED lighting.
- We also use load management with our local power company so that we’re not using electricity in high-volume times.
- And we added two Tesla charging stations and one universal charging station to our parking lot, a complimentary service for our EV visitors (the only Tesla stations and one of the only free universal stations for 45 miles).
On our farm we have 30 conservation acres and we welcome walkers on our 1/2 mile walking path through the prairie (year round).
We take our responsibility to the environment very seriously.
I hope that you’ll consider supporting our small business in the future.